Friday, September 08, 2006

paper & pen

First a few moments to mourn the passing of paper and pen. They will be missed.

...


Ok, at least I will miss them. It seems that as we get more and more involved in the brave new world of the internet, we loose the need for and the comprehension of paper products. All we need these days is a few post-it notes for scraps of information like phone numbers and login passwords.

Other than this minimal function, and of course in school (the last bastion of all things luddite) , no one has use for the glories that are stationary. And a sad day it is too.

I, for one (and probably only), have always had a warm spot in my heart for the stationary isle. Seeing all the wonderful pens arrayed in all their splendiforousness, choosing just the right one. Oh, the revelry of it all! I used to try and find the finest felt tip, or rather the felt tip with the finest point, I found that drafting pens were the best for what I wanted, even though I wanted them just to write with. Now, I find myself craving the gell pens. Words fail to describe my joy, so here are a few wordless lines;




Of course, pens were just the warm up for the main event;

Paper !!!!!

An endless view of sizes, shapes, thicknesses. All different, all loverly! Except wide lined. Toss those under achievers right into the fire barrel. It's only college lined, or blank for me. Oh, Joy! the thick ones with dividers, so it's like having three differend notebooks in one cover! The smaller one to show you can economise! The tiny ones for phone numbers! Happpy, happy! And all the ones in between and beyond. I. Feel. Words. Failing. Again.












Hmm, I think I'm better now.
(No comments from you out there!)

I look around my desk at this very moment and see seven different notepads, and I know there are more behind me, but let's not talk about them.

It appears that I'm at the end of my ramble for the nonce. (that means for now, or some such, silly.) Take care, and go buy some stationary, or at least a nice gell pen.